Clare island Lighthouse
The original lighthouse was built in 1806 by the Marquis of Sligo, on the isolated northern tip of Clare Island. Seven years later it was destroyed by fire due to the lighthouse keeper throwing ‘the snuffings’ of the wicks of candles into a tub which caught fire. The new lighthouse tower was built toward the end of 1818. Clare Island Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1965 after an astonishing 159 years of service.